Advertising the Project
- I will contact the EPAS LEMS coordinator, providing her with the website's URL. She is responsible for approving the offering as part of the EPAS after-school program. She is also responsible for providing approval and financial support for the proposed field trips as well as the $100 fee required for participation in iEARN.
- I will contact the Chesapeake Bay Foundation to line up CBF representative(s) to come to the EPAS after-school program. In conjunction with the CBF, I will seek out a student who is willing to serve as a Skyping mentor to the students. Once these individuals have been identified, I will personally contact them in order to assure that they understand that the scope of this project is not just to raise awareness and responsibility for the health of the Chesapeake Bay but to increase students' awareness about the global concerns for how humans interact with the water systems in their communities. I will share the website URL with them and schedule a later date to talk over the project and their suggestions and contributions.
- I will contact the Colorado River Alliance and explain the purpose of this project. It is important that I convey that the project has a global focus. I will share the website URL and schedule a later date to talk over the project with someone from CRA. I will ask that the contact person understand that I am searching for a teacher contact who is interested in his or her class becoming the blogging "friends" to my group. This will mean that the Texas class is also involved in awareness and clean-up activities with the CRA so that they are able to share similar activities they are doing in their communities. Please see correlation of science standards below.
- I will contact the Texas teacher whose name has been provided by the CRA. I will share the URL for the project and schedule a later date to finalize coordinating activities.
- I will complete the process of joining and participating in the iEARN community and follow the requirements of the program. The complete details of what this involves can only happen after the $100 fee is paid.
- I will contact the science coordinator for Howard County Secondary Science and share the website URL. I will ask for suggestions and permission for students in the after-school program to present their work with grades 6 and 7 science classes at LEMS. If the program has a successful outcome, I will serve as a mentor for other teachers in HCPSS who may want to design a similar program.
- I will contact the local paper, The Columbia Flyer, requesting an article that chronicles the work of these students and their global connections through the CBF, the CRA, and iEARN. These types of informational articles involving various individuals or groups in Howard County are the main focus of the paper.